Digitimes has published an interesting report this evening, saying Apple will begin the production of a 7.85-inch iPad in Q2 2012. Apple will reportedly begin selling the smaller iPads prior to Q4 2012, but will also sell another iPad in Q1 2012 — presumably the iPad 3.
Apple is likely to launch a 7.85-inch iPad prior to the fourth quarter of 2012 in addition to a new iPad scheduled to be released at the end of the first quarter, according to sources in the supply chain.
In order to compete with Amazon’s Kindle Fire — which has been selling very well — Digitimes says their sources say Apple has been persuaded to manufacture the 7.85-inch tablet to compete.
However, in order to cope with increasing market competition including the 7-inch Kindle Fire from Amazon and the launch of large-size smartphones from handset vendors, Apple has been persuaded into the development of 7.85-inch iPads, the sources indicated.
LG Display and AU Optronics will reportedly be the manufacturers for the 7.85-inch panels, and will hit the supply streams in Q2 2012.
- Parts shipping for iPad 3 assembly in January 2012 as pure PC makers plan to exit tablet space next year (9to5mac.com)
- Citi: Next-gen iPad to launch in February with Retina display (9to5mac.com)
- DigiTimes: Samsung, Sharp already shipping iPad 3 panels (9to5mac.com)
- Report: Next iPads to arrive in 3-4 months, parts being delivered now (9to5mac.com)
- DigiTimes: Apple exploring dual-LED light bar design for iPad 3 (9to5mac.com)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.