It is starting to look like last weekend was a huge one for the iPhone 5. In a press release this morning, the nation’s second-largest carrier, AT&T, announced the iPhone 5 is now the fastest-selling iPhone the company has ever offered. It even beat out last year’s iPhone 4S, which saw huge sales. “AT&T set a sales record with iPhone 5 over the weekend, making it the fastest-selling iPhone the company has ever offered,” said AT&T in a press release.
Apple spoke limitedly Friday afternoon about the amount of pre-orders it saw on the first day. “Pre-orders for iPhone 5 have been incredible. We’ve been completely blown away by the customer response,” an Apple spokesperson said in a statement, which also echoed previous years’ statements. At the same time, shipping times on online stores for the iPhone 5, including through Apple and AT&T, began slipping drastically. The stock of opening day iPhone 5s were diminished completely in the first hour of pre-orders on Friday morning, with shipping pushed to “14-21 business days.”[tweet https://twitter.com/reneritchie/status/247672092756148224]
The iPhone 5 will arrive to customers who pre-ordered on Sept. 21. For those who didn’t pre-order, Apple and the carriers will open their stores at 8 a.m. to make the iPhone 5 available. We suspect the same message given by AT&T goes the same for Apple and other carriers. More should be announced soon.
- Walmart to begin iPhone 5 pre-orders at 8AM tomorrow, 16GB version priced at $189.97 (9to5mac.com)
- Apple on iPhone 5 pre-orders: ‘we’ve been completely blown away’ (9to5mac.com)
- Should Apple provide Lightning to 30-pin adapters to those who thought they were getting one with iPhone 5? (9to5mac.com)
AT&T* set a sales record with iPhone 5 over the weekend, making it the fastest-selling iPhone the company has ever offered. Customers ordered more iPhones from AT&T than any previous model both on its first day of preorders and over the weekend.
iPhone 5 is still available for preorder at www.att.com/iphone and will be available in AT&T retail stores beginning at 8 am local time on Friday, September 21.
AT&T offers a number of advantages for iPhone 5 customers.
- AT&T’s network lets you talk and surf the web at the same time.
- Largest 4G Network. Customers get blazing-fast speeds on the nation’s largest 4G network, covering 275 million people.
- Flexible Rate Plans. AT&T doesn’t force customers to switch data plans to get the best device price when they upgrade to a new device and new AT&T customers aren’t forced into a certain plan; they have the flexibility to choose from one of several individual or Mobile Share plans.
More customers choose AT&T for iPhone than any other U.S. carrier.
For more information on iPhone 5, please visit: www.att.com/iphone.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.