With both iOS 9 and watchOS 2 set to be released tomorrow, Apple has already started releasing third-party app updates that take advantage of the new features in each software update. watchOS 2 for Apple Watch introduces native apps that run faster and have access to sensors, and iOS 9 introduces new split-screen multitasking and deeper Spotlight-integrated search capabilities. There are some of the watchOS 2 and iOS 9 apps we’re already starting to see hit the App Store:
Star Walk 2 ($2.99) says it’s iOS 9 ready with version 2.0. The new app builds in Spotlight search “to find any object in the app” so hunting planets from the home screen should be easier. On the iPad, Star Walk supports Slide Over for viewing supported apps as an overlay. For Apple Watch users, Star Walk 2 now appears as a third-party complication (watch face widget) for checking each night’s stargazing index.
PCalc ($9.99) version 3.5 adds split-screen multitasking on iPad and a native Apple Watch app to the iPhone version. PCalc being native on the watch means using the calculator no longer requires sending data back and forth to the iPhone for each step which makes it much faster and natural.
The Weather Channel (Free) has shared what’s coming up with their watchOS 2 app for Apple Watch. In addition to now being native and featuring a new home screen with hourly forecasts and animations, TWC’s Apple Watch app now features a watch face complication that displays the percent chance of rain coming toward your current location. This complication goes a step further and even looks ahead 48 hours using watchOS 2’s new Time Travel feature to pull percent chance of rain in the forecast.
The Guardian (Free) already added both Slide Over and Split View multitasking on iPad as well as a native Apple Watch app. Spotlight search can pull stories from the app right from the home screen. The update also supports iOS 9 Deep Linking and Universal Deep Linking for viewing stories with Safari within the app.
The Night Sky ($0.99) says it’s iPhone 6s/6s Plus, iOS 9 and watchOS 2 ready. For iOS the universal app supports 3D Touch on the new iPhones, split screen features on iPads, Spotlight search, and App Thinning to make a smaller-sized app. The Night Sky’s native Apple Watch app features an ISS complication to discover the next flyover and uses new access to the Digital Crown for rotating through the sky overhead.
Parcel (Free) is a delivery tracking app with a native watch app and support for iPad multitasking. Parcel supports Spotlight search and creating deep lined Reminders using Siri within the app. The app also includes contextual share menu support for recognizing selected tracking numbers in Mail, Safari, and other apps.
Plane Finder ($3.99) features split screen support on the newly-made universal iPad version.
Many more iOS 9 and watchOS 2 apps will likely continue rolling out on the App Store as Apple only began accepting these apps for review late on Friday. Apple has already released performance updates to its iWork apps on iOS today likely with iOS 9 compatibility in mind. Let us know in the comments which apps you’ve discovered that have been updated to take advantage of watchOS 2 and iOS 9 below.
Update: With iOS 9 officially out today, we’ve gathered several notable iOS 9 + iPhone 6s app updates to check out below:
Dropbox 4.0 (Free)
• New for iOS 9:
• Search from Spotlight to find files you’ve viewed recently or saved for offline access
• Links shared with you open directly in the app
• General iOS 9 compatibility
• Uploaded photos and videos are now grouped together in Recents
• Easily get to file and folder actions, or view the location or full name, through the new action menu
• Favorites are now known as Offline files – this feature still works the same as before, keeping the files you’ve marked for offline access up to date
Twitter 6.3.1 (Free)
Starting today, users on iOS 9 can use Twitter beside their other apps, like Safari and Mail! Additionally, users can reply to tweet mention notifications from anywhere in iOS via push notification quick replies!
Pinterest 5.4.2 (Free)
For example, to quickly get back to that Pin or Board you were looking at, just swipe down and search using iOS Spotlight. When a friend sends you a link to a Pin, tapping on it will now just instantly open Pinterest instead of first going to Safari. If you’ve upgraded to the iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus, you’ll find that Pinterest now supports 3D Touch to provide gorgeous full size previews of Pins, Boards and Topics.
Microsoft Office + More (Free)
• Multitasking*: get tasks done faster by running Word for iPad side by side with other apps. For example, copy numbers or a chart from Excel into Word, or write down some meeting notes in Word while you’re reviewing the slides in PowerPoint.
• Keyboard shortcuts*: no need to learn keyboard shortcuts by heart. Just tap the Command key on your external keyboard to get an overview of all shortcuts.
• Mirrored User Interface in Arabic and Hebrew*: Word now has a mirrored UI when the device language is set to Arabic or Hebrew.
• Now available in Vietnamese.
* Feature requires iOS 9
OpenTable 9.0 (Free)
· App discovery: Access your OpenTable app more easily. Land into the app for relevant searches from Apple’s Safari & Spotlight search.
· Apple Watch: Improved experience to make OpenTable on Apple Watch more delightful via backend updates.
Instapaper 7.0 (Free)
* Article rows now include image thumbnails! If images aren’t your thing, turn them off in Settings for the classic Instapaper look.
* Added support for iPad multitasking so you can run Instapaper alongside other apps.
* Apple’s new system font, San Francisco, is now an available font choice.
* Text-to-speech will automatically use the high-quality American-English Alex voice if it is downloaded and the article is in English.
* Picture-in-picture video is now supported for YouTube and Vimeo saves.
* Redesigned iPad grid and row cells for better multitasking support.
* The navigation menu now slides over the article list instead of appearing from under it.
Expedia 6.4 (Free)
• We’re optimized for iOS 9!
• We support App Search! Dive right back into your previous hotel search, directly from Spotlight.
• Already using iOS 9? This update fixes a bug with hotel pricing that appeared on search results.
Buzzfeed 4.15 (Free)
*Welcome to an iOS9 world, BuzzFeeders! Handoff, Spotlight Search, Watch OS2, Oh My!
*For those of you with watches, check out our sweet new app: YrBFF! You can make and maintain friendships without ever leaving your house. WIN!
*As always, we used your feedback to fix bugs and make the app experience even more rad for you guys. Keep it coming.
Omnifocus 2.7 ($39.99)
OmniFocus 2.7 for iPhone adds support for iOS 9 features such as integration with system-wide searches. It also adds support for pasting multiple actions at once from other apps such as Notes. (This update requires iOS 9.)
– Spotlight Search: iOS can now search your OmniFocus database. So far only actions and projects are included, but we plan to add more.
– Pasting: Multiple actions are now created when multi-line text is pasted into the outline (including checklists from the iOS Notes app).
– Reminders Capture: In order to avoid conflict with the new “Siri, remind me about this” feature, we have had to change the way we capture from Reminders. Instead of deleting captured items, they are marked complete and moved to a “Captured by OmniFocus” list. You can view the original reminders by opening the Reminders app, choosing the “Captured by OmniFocus” list, and tapping “Show Completed”.
– Bug Fixes: Many bugs were fixed while implementing new features for this release.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.
Chronicle (Bill tracking) has been updated as well as Scanbot.
Chronicle lets you search for bills with Siri search, multi tasking on iPad, and more.
Scant allows you to search for documents with spotlight search and multitasking
Chrome and Lego Windstorms also indicate updated for iOS 9 compatibility.
Lego Mindstorm (autocorrect).
Strangly most of these apps do not yet show updates in UK app store
How about 5K 27 inch iPad pro, can it replace your iMac??
That would be a super dope tablet!
I don’t care about any of that.
Just give me my Apple Watch Sleep Tracking App.
(Since i got my memory foam mattress i can not use Sleep Cycle.)
There is nothing more accurate than Sleep Tracking using your pulse.
Word! Although currently you can kind of track your sleep in the health app. The watch measures your pulse if you are not moving, so checking when the watch stops measuring during the might tells you something.
I can’t wait to update my devices. Specially my watch with the new OS.
the day i updated to ios 9 beta, gopro app isnt working i cant access my cam, i guess with public release the app will start working although there isnt any update of that app till yet
Crystal app for safari content blocking is free for limited time. Everyone should download it. Had no idea safari was this fast.