Apple has released iOS 11 developer beta 3 for developers on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. iOS 11 brings new features like drag-and-drop and a redesigned multitasking interface for iPad, a new customizable Control Center, and much more.
New in beta 3 is a swipe up gesture for iPad users to close apps, tweaked behavior to Cover Sheet Notification Center and more …
iOS 11 beta 3 is currently only available to registered developers for now. Apple typically holds new public beta versions for a few days for major updates.
Apple also recently released a special ‘Update 1’ to iOS 11 beta for some devices to resolve a DFU restore issue. Today’s release is available to all users, so it seems like the DFU update has been fixed.
Whilst iOS 11 beta 3 does not have any groundbreaking changes, there are a handful of enhancements and tweaks — along with the usual performance and stability improvements:
New in iOS 11 beta 3:
- Refined 3D Touch interface for the Camera app in Control Center. Similar UI changes can also be seen in the 3D Touch overlay view for the Notes Control Center shortcut.
- The Cover Sheet of Notification Center has been refined. It now shows all notifications immediately when swiped into view; a second upward gesture to see older notifications is no longer necessary.
- On iPad, you can now remove apps from multitasking with an upward swipe gesture. The close button ‘x’ interface seen in beta 1 and beta 2 has been replaced with the swipe interaction.
- Improved Springboard responsiveness when dragging and dropping. App icons now more closely track with finger gestures when dragging around.
- Messages in iCloud reports fine-grained update progress in Settings.
- Mail correctly remembers if it is open in 3-column mode on larger 12.9-inch iPad displays, when switching between full screen and split-screen presentations.
- Smart Invert is now applied more correctly across the operating system.
- In TV Provider settings, users can sign up with their local provider even if it doesn’t support Single-Sign On yet.
- App Store settings now include a preference for whether to auto play videos. Users can pick to disable autoplaying video entirely or only when on cellular networks.
- OS X Server is listed in the Files app; not yet functional.
- The UI for 3D Touch previews for Safari has been tweaked.
- For developers, SafariServices offers a new API to improve the authentication flow for onboarding. For instance, when Facebook is updated, a user that is logged in to the web app can be automatically logged into the native app without entering a password.
Apple today released iOS 11 beta 3 for developers alongside new builds of macOS High Sierra and tvOS. There was no new watchOS beta released today, perhaps that will follow later in the week.
We would expect to see public betas for iOS 11 seed 3 released later this week.
For a comprehensive look at everything new in iOS 11 so far, check out our hands-on video below:
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.