Battery life is an important factor for smartphones and Apple included some impressive improvements in this area with the iPhone 11 models last year. Now that all the details have been unveiled, let’s take a look at what kind of iPhone 12 battery life to expect.
All four of the iPhone 12 models feature the same all-new design with flat sides. That’s also made the new iPhones slimmer than their predecessors. All of them come in with a thickness of 0.29 inch (7.4 mm) compared to the iPhone 11 lineup that was 0.32 or 0.33 inch (8.3/8.13 mm) thick. And it’s always a delicate task balancing form factor and battery life. But despite being thinner, the iPhone 12 Pro models do have ever so slightly increased height and width.
Earlier this year my colleague Benjamin Mayo detailed the entire iPhone lineup’s battery life ratings (see below) after the iPhone SE launch in April. Let’s look at Apple’s benchmarks on battery life for video playback for the new iPhone lineup.
iPhone 12 battery life for video playback
- iPhone 12 mini: 15 hours
- With a form factor the size of the iPhone SE/7/8, 15 hours battery life for video playback is impressive, the same as the iPhone XS Max and 2 hours longer than the iPhone SE
- iPhone 12: 17 hours
- Apple was able to keep the iPhone 12 battery life the same as iPhone 11, second only to the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max
- iPhone 12 Pro: 17 hours
- This comes in 1 hour less than the iPhone 11 Pro which is rated at 18 hours
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: 20 hours
- Apple managed to match the iPhone 11 Pro Max here for the longest iPhone battery life
We don’t yet know how the battery capacity of each iPhone 12 stacks up but that should come to light in the coming weeks.
Here’s the battery life of the iPhone 11 and earlier models charted:
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.