A range of studies have shown that popular games are sending data to multiple third-party entities, and even the developers concerned may not know what data is being sent to whom.
Angry Birds Stories May 15, 2019
Angry Birds Stories March 19, 2019
Angry Birds got a new lease of life when it came to the Magic Leap, Oculus Rift and Vive headsets. But Rovio is now bringing the augmented reality experience to mobile for the first time, initially exclusive to iPhone and iPad.
It will be available later this spring, but will be available for pre-order from later today …
Angry Birds Stories February 21, 2018
New ‘Angry Birds Champions’ spin-off for iOS lets players battle for real cash
A new Angry Birds title is out for iOS and it’s bringing a new take on the franchise. This time around, players will slingshot the well-known birds and compete for real money.
Angry Birds Stories January 24, 2018
Rovio has updated Angry Birds 2 and Angry Birds Evolution for the NFL season with football content.
Bird Island has been tuned into the NFL season thanks to some tinkering from Dr. Strangebird. Now the whole island is hyped up for Super Bowl LII! Join the celebration to collect a brand new bird – The Quarterback, and hit the gridiron for a game of Pigball in the NFLed-out Mighty Metrodome …
Angry Birds Stories September 29, 2015
Tomorrow will mark three months since the launch of iOS 8.4 and Apple Music, and this means that the first free trial sign-ups will begin expiring. In its latest push to retain users, Apple has begun emailing users with set-to-expire trials as well as pushing notifications to their devices. As can be seen in the image above, the notification encourages users to renew.
As we learned in the summer, users who do not manually end their free trial with Apple Music will be automatically opted into continuing their subscription for either $9.99 or $14.99 (family plan). Users who wish to not continue with Apple Music can disable their subscriptions manually via their iTunes account page. Last week, our own Ben Lovejoy weighed the pros and cons of Apple Music in order to make his own renewal decision.
Angry Birds Stories September 21, 2015
Update 1: The list of apps has now been updated with apps identified by Dutch security company Fox-IT. The company is reporting seeing malware traffic from the apps in Europe.
Update 2: Rovio has advised that only the version of Angry Birds 2 in the Chinese App Store was affected.
I wish to clarify that Rovio can confirm that only the Chinese build of Angry Birds 2 — available only on the App Store in Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau — is vulnerable to the security issue. All other builds of Angry Birds 2 available in other countries are completely safe and secure. An update of Angry Birds 2 for customers in Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau that fixes the issue is coming very shortly.
After yesterday’s revelation that hundreds of iOS apps on the App Store had been infected by malware, security company Palo Alto Networks has posted a list of some of the affected apps – which include Angry Birds 2.
The apps were infected by a fake copy of Xcode dubbed XcodeGhost, unwittingly downloaded by Chinese developers in place of the real thing. It’s believed they downloaded the fake from local servers because it took too long to download the original from Apple’s own servers. It’s not yet known why Apple’s own checks did not detect the malware when apps were submitted to the App Store.
It’s been suggested that over 300 apps are infected, with 31 of them so far identified (list below) … expand full story
Angry Birds Stories July 30, 2015
Angry Birds 2 released for iOS, free to download on the App Store
Rovio has finally released the long-awaited sequel to the original Angry Birds hit mobile game. Since the first title saw phenomenal success on the iOS App Store, the game has gone on to amazing heights with tons of spinoffs. With several official movie tie-ins, including the popular Star Wars titles, Angry Birds is the ultimate success story of the mobile app world. And now, Angry Birds 2 is available to download.
The game retains the key features, in that you fling birds with a catapult in an attempt to destroy blocks and kill green pigs. However, it does have some new features. Some levels now have multiple stages to complete, and you have to choose which bird to launch next. You can challenge other players and there are even more magic spells too, to help you complete difficult levels. As always, there are plenty of pig bosses to wipe out.
It’s free to download and has the expected in-app purchases. Download the app from the App Store.
You can watch the official gameplay trailer below
Angry Birds Stories July 23, 2015
Apple launches massive iOS sale w/ 100 apps for $0.99 ea: Rayman, Angry Birds, Pixelmator, Spider-Man, many more
Unlike most App Store promos, Apple has now quietly kicked off one the largest iOS game/app sales we have seen this year. The news comes courtesy of participating app developer Readdle.
The sale includes 100 apps and games at “new low prices”, most of which are $0.99. While we have posted some of these titles over the past week in our daily/game app roundups, this is the first time they’ve all appeared together in one giant sale. Now is your chance to fill up your app library, as we are seeing all-time lows on games, productivity apps, photography apps and much more.
A couple standouts are Pixelmator (Reg. $5), GoodReader (Reg. $5), The Room Two (Reg. $3), Rayman Jungle Run (Reg. $3), BADLAND (Reg. $4), Real Racing (Reg. $5), Angry Birds titles, and well, far too many to mention here. Not even including the insanely popular Angry Birds games, just these apps alone combine for a 4+ star rating from 100,000 reviews.
You can also download Screenium 3 on Mac for 50% off (Reg. $50) for a limited time.
Angry Birds Stories July 16, 2015
It’s official – Angry Birds 2 is coming on July 30th
It seems an age since Angry Birds first rose to prominence as the best-selling mobile game going. After countless spin-offs and movie tie-ins, it’s about to get its first proper sequel. Rovio announced in a blog post this morning that Angry Birds 2 will officially launch on July 30th.
With 3 billion game downloads, millions of fans across the globe, multiple mashups and spin-offs, collaborations with A-list celebrities and much more, we’re really proud that Angry Birds is the mother of all mobile game apps. And now we’re proud to announce the mother of all sequels – Angry Birds 2!
Rovio hasn’t announced exactly what to expect or which platforms it’ll be available on, but it does say that it will make its way to “app stores worldwide” in two weeks, suggesting that it will almost certainly be available on the most popular platforms: Android and iOS.
Hit the Angry Birds 2 website to sign up and be notified as soon as it’s available. In the mean time, you can grab a bunch of the more popular Angry Birds titles for free, or just $1 in Rovio’s iOS sale.
Angry Birds Stories February 6, 2015
9to5Toys Last Call: iPad mini 2 $250, Valentine’s Day gift deals, iTunes Free App of the Week, more
Today’s can’t miss deals:
Last Call updates:
- ControlAir adds iTunes and Spotify gesture control to any Mac for free
- 2-pack of KANEX 1.6 ft. MFi Lighting to USB Cables $13 (orig. $25)
- 5-pack of Etekcity Wireless Remote Controlled Outlets $22 (Reg. $35)
- Pier 1 Imports coupon code for an extra $10 off $50+ or $25 off $100+, more
- Home: Panasonic Oral Irrigator $22 (orig. $30), Ekobrew K-cup filter $4 (orig. $14), more
- HTC One (M8) w/ 32 GB flash storage, 4G LTE, GSM (factory unlocked) $300 (Reg. $499)
Best Buy 2-day sale: Moto 360 from $220, iPad mini 2 $250, Jawbone UP $30, Beats deals, more
Valentine’s Day Roundup: jewelry extra 30% off at Amazon, ProFlowers 30% off, Gap/Timbuk2/J.Crew up to 40% off, more
iTunes Free App of the Week: Angry Birds Seasons (up to $2.99 value)
Get 67% Off The Productivity Pack (Updated to include 3 Months of Dropbox Pro FREE)
Media: Despicable Me 2 & other Blu-rays $10 each, Big Hero 6 early release, more
More new gear from today:
- New! Cobra emergency vehicle jump starter and USB power bank $80 (Reg. $120+)
- New! Daily Deals: Jawbone Big Jambox (refurb): $150, Motorola Wi-Fi Camera: $65, more
- New! TP-LINK 150Mbps wireless N pocket router (refurb) $10 shipped (orig. $30)
- New! PSA: check your Chromecast for a possible free $6 movie credit offer
- New! Games/Apps: Batman Arkham Asylum for Mac $5, iOS freebies, more
More deals still alive:
- Harman Kardon CL Precision On-Ear Headphones (refurb) $49 shipped (orig. $200), more
- Incase 40% off: MacBook Icon Tensaerlite sleeve $42, iPhone 6 cases from $18, more
- Beats Pill 2.0 Bluetooth Speaker $140 (Reg. $200), Pill XL $240 (Reg. $300), more
- iOttie One Touch Windshield Dashboard Mounts for iPhone 6/Plus $13 (Reg. $20)
- 50% off clearance items today only at A4C: LeapFrog case $12, Bluetooth headset $5, more
- Magazine subs from $4.75 per yr: Dwell, National Geographic, Fast Company, more
- TP-LINK Dual Band Wireless N600 Gigabit Router $45 shipped (Reg. $53+)
- D-Link Wireless 802.11n 720p Network cam $120 shipped (Reg. $165+)
- Sennheiser MM30i in-ear headphones w/ mic & remote $23 Prime shipped (Reg. $50+)
- Cut the cord! Mohu Leaf 50 Ultimate HDTV Antenna (open box): $30 shipped (orig. $90)
- Slow Shutter! is now available for free inside the Apple Store iPhone app (Reg. $1.99)
- Sennheiser HD 558 Over-Ear Headphones $90 shipped (orig. $180)
- Samsung D3 Station 4TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive $100 (Reg. $150)
- Ricoh Monochrome Laser Printer $27 shipped (orig. $40)
- Tons of Lonely Planet guides and books for Kindle Reader: FREE
- Headphones: JBL J55i on-ears $30 (orig. $100), Bose SoundTrue 10% off, more
- LG 34-inch UltraWide LED IPS Monitor w/ Thunderbolt $750 shipped (Reg. $1,000)
- Timex Weekender Men’s/Women’s Watches extra 30% off: from $19 Prime shipped
- Sennheiser PXC 250-II Noise Cancelling Headphones $80 shipped (orig. $200), more
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Over-Ear Headphones (black) $129 shipped (Reg. $169)
New products & more:
- Super Smash Bros. GameCube Controllers $25, Controller Adapters for Wii U $30
- Kitchen Tech: Pressure Cookers make the perfect chicken sandwich, and much more
- Olympus and Samsung queue up new cameras and accessories for the Spring
- SONOS announces new PLAY:1 Blue Note Limited Edition wireless speaker
- This iPhone 6 Batmobile case looks the part and even casts the Bat-Signal
- Gaming For Couples: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and NES Remix Pack
- Life Hack: these simple Velcro ties make cable management a cinch
- Eero beams carefree WiFi to every corner of your home or office
- The Toshiba Encrypted USB Flash Drive arrives
- Raspberry Pi 2 launches with juiced up specs and free Windows 10 at the same low price
Angry Birds Stories October 15, 2014
Angry Birds and Transformers collide in this action-packed, 3D shoot ’em up adventure! The EggSpark has transformed the eggs into crazed robots who are destroying Piggy Island, but who can stop them?! Autobirds, roll out!
Gamers have been waiting for quite some time as the Transformers mash-up game was first announced back in June …
Angry Birds Stories September 25, 2014
After months of teasing, Angry Birds Transformers is now available in select parts of the world. Gamers in New Zealand and Finland can now sample Rovio’s mashup of fowl and robots, with Canada and Australia set to follow soon afterwards. In addition to a soft launch for its new title, Rovio released a new gameplay trailer, revealing that this won’t be your typical Angry Birds title.
Angry Birds Stories September 4, 2014
The latest Angry Birds edition, Stella, hit the app store today, with pink, female characters apparently designed to appeal to girls. The game itself, though, is a variation on the familiar theme of firing birds at pigs hidden in the scenery … expand full story
Angry Birds Stories July 10, 2014
9to5Toys Lunch Break: Angry Birds SW II for iOS free, Seagate Backup Plus 5TB $168, Samsung 51″ Plasma $400, more
Today’s can’t miss deals:
- Angry Birds Star Wars II for iOS goes free ($0.99 value)
- XCOM Enemy Unknown Elite (Mac) $17, Assassin’s Creed Pirates free, more
- Xbox One console (w/o Kinect) for $360 shipped (Reg. $399)
Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop External USB 3.0 Hard Drive $168 shipped (Reg. $220)
Other new deals:
- New! Daily Deals: Samsung 1080p HDTVs From $380, Sony Smart Watch: $69, more
- New! Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7-inch 16GB WiFi Tablet $150 shipped (Reg. $230)
More deals still alive:
Smart home deals:
- Quirky Aros smart window air conditioner $249 shipped (orig. $300)
- $25 off the Wink Hub w/ one accessory purchase or $49 off w/ two accessory purchases
- Free Philips Hue personal wireless lightning bulb ($60 value) w/ purchase of Philips Hue starter pack.
- Home Deals: Cuisinart 5-Speed Juice Extract: $50, KitchenAid Mixer: $180, more
- $50 Bluetooth Speakers w/ mic: Jawbone Jambox (refurb) or Philips Shoqbox (orig. $200)
- Media: Wolf of Wall Street iTunes rental $0.99, Rise Against iTunes First Play, Blu-rays from $5, more
- Logitech Marathon M705 Wireless Laser Mouse (black): $25 shipped (Reg. $50)
- Save 25% on all accessories from T-Mobile, including Olloclip, cases, speakers, more
- Headphones: MEElectronics Bluetooth over-ears $40 (orig. $120), more
- Canon PIXMA Wireless Inkjet All-In-One printer w/ AirPrint: $99 shipped (Reg. $200)
- Home Deals: Neato XV-21 auto vac (refurb) $215 (orig. $430), Cuisinart Stand Mixer $300 (orig. $600+), Dyson hand vac $120, more
- Clearance Cases at Best Buy for the iPad Air $10-$15 (Reg. $30-$50)
- Home theater 1080p 3D projectors: BenQ $699 (Reg. $1,099), Optoma $869 (Orig. $2,499)
- LINKSYS AV 4-Port Powerline adapters $40 shipped (orig. $120)
- Save 25% on three wireless accessories at AT&T, includes GoPro, more
New products/ongoing promotions:
- Woot founder’s new daily deal website ‘Meh’ officially opens its doors today
- Microsoft is handing out $75 in credit to select gamers for upgrading to Xbox One
- UE Boom Bluetooth speaker wins Gold at Design Excellence Awards, now $180 (Reg. $200)
- Rayman Fiesta Run available for free on iOS (Reg. $3)
- Samsung’s new 850 Solid State Drives pre-order from $129.99 shipped
- Save 25% on Nomad’s new carabiner, key & credit card sized MFi Lightning cables
Angry Birds Stories June 12, 2014
Get your Role Play on with new Angry Birds ‘Epic’ from Rovio
Get ready for a bird-tastic FREE RPG adventure filled with “weapons” (whatever they could get ahold of), magic, bad guys and silly hats! Lead your feathery team into battle now – it’s going to be EPIC!
EPIC BATTLES! Turn-based battles between our heroic flock of warriors and those green snout-nosed scoundrels! It’s easy to play, but difficult to master!
EPIC WORLDS! Explore a fantasy Piggy Island with everything from tribal villages and frosty mountains to tropical beaches and mysterious caves!
EPIC CHARACTERS! Join Red, Chuck, Bomb and the other heroes as they face King Pig, Wiz Pig, Prince Porky and many more villains!
EPIC UPGRADES! Level up your characters, armor, weapons and potions to become a legendary hero ready to take on the mightiest pig warrior!
EPIC WEAPONS! Craft amazing battle-winning weapons like a wooden sword, frying pan or stick thingy with a sponge on top!
EPIC HUMOR! Plenty of offbeat humor and tons of quirky characters dressed in awesomely silly costumes – like a prickly cactus hat and a matching sword.
Phone Arena called it great for casual gamers but too simple and repetitive for hardcore gamers.
Overall, Angry Birds Epic is one of those must-try casual games. Chances are that hardcore gamers will find it too simple and shallow for their taste, but those who consider themselves casual gamers will surely love Rovio’s newest creation. The game is easy to learn, easy to play, and easy to put down when there’s more serious business to be done, which makes it a great choice for killing a few minutes while waiting for the bus. Although we wouldn’t mind spending an afternoon stashing loot, crafting weapons, and laying waste to those grunting green pigs. Best of all, we never had the feeling that we were being pushed towards buying extra in-game currency (which costs real money, by the way) so don’t be worried about IAPs spoiling your experience. The only thing you might be bothered by are the full-screen pop-up ads that appear from time to time.
Angry Birds Stories May 6, 2014
Rovio launches Flappy Bird-style game ‘Retry’ in select countries
Angry Birds maker Rovio is today launching its latest title in the App Store with the release of ‘Retry,’ a game that appears to be inspired by the gameplay and retro 8-bit graphics of recent hit iOS game Flappy Birds. Although that might be selling it short, as it’s clear from the mechanics shown off in the trailer above that this is much more than just a Flappy Birds clone.
From the guys sitting in the room next to the guys who made Angry Birds, comes RETRY – a game so hard, so addictive, so old school that you’ll think you’ve stepped into an 8-bit time machine and gone back to 1986. Totally rad!
The game is the first release from Rovio’s latest publishing arm “Rovio LVL 11,” which, according to Gamasutra, will exist for Rovio’s new titles that don’t quite fit in with the Angry Birds world. That means you shouldn’t expect to see a ton of cross-promotions with Retry and Angry Birds or any of the other Rovio’s titles.
Retry is already available in the App Store for both iPhone and iPad, but it’s currently only available in Canada, Finland, and Poland. We’d expect to see the title arrive in the US and globally in the near future.
Angry Birds Stories February 13, 2014
After a couple of teases that a new Angry Birds title was incoming, Rovio today announced that a new game called “Angry Birds Stella” is coming soon. The game features a female lead character unlike the majority of Rovio’s other games, but there aren’t many details about how else it might differ from other Angry Birds titles.
Angry Birds Stella will open a door to a part of the Angry Birds universe you’ve never seen before! There will be plenty of fun and adventure, but the bunch of passionate pals will also have to deal with some serious issues in order to protect their friendship and the environment they live in. Luckily, Stella and her friends are good at finding creative solutions!
No word on an official release date, but Rovio says the game will ship sometime in the fall.
Angry Birds Stories January 28, 2014
Rovio responds to claims Angry Birds was targeted by NSA smartphone surveillance program
Yesterday we reported on new leaked docs from Edward Snowden reported by The New York Times and others that detailed secret NSA and GCHQ programs used to siphon data from popular smartphone apps on both iOS and Android. While Apple and Google have yet to respond to the reports, today one of the main developers singled out in the claims has. Rovio, maker of the popular Angry Birds game that was mentioned several times in the reports, today posted a response on its website.
The developer confirms that it in no way works with NSA, GCHQ or any other government organization to provide data about users, but it does point to third-party advertising networks as a possibility of the leaks:
The alleged surveillance may be conducted through third party advertising networks used by millions of commercial web sites and mobile applications across all industries. If advertising networks are indeed targeted, it would appear that no internet-enabled device that visits ad-enabled web sites or uses ad-enabled applications is immune to such surveillance. Rovio does not allow any third party network to use or hand over personal end-user data from Rovio’s apps.
Referring to the third-party advertising networks, Rovio CEO Mikael Hed said the company would have to “re-evaluate working with these networks if they are being used for spying purposes.”
Angry Birds wasn’t the only app specifically mentioned in the leaked docs, however. The reports claim the NSA program is capable of intercepting information ranging from location, age, and sex of users to address books, buddy lists, phone logs, geographic data and more from various mobile apps and third-party ad networks. Twitter, Google Maps, Facebook and others were also specifically mentioned in yesterday’s reports.
Angry Birds Stories December 11, 2013
In a refreshing departure from its iconic flick-and-throw style animated gameplay, Rovio is out with a brand new Mario Kart-like game depicting the ongoing battle between the winged warriors and pesky pigs with Angry Birds GO!
Angry Birds GO! delivers ‘breakneck speed’ downhill racing on Piggy Island in the first three-dimensional version of the series for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. expand full story
Angry Birds Stories October 15, 2013
9to5Toys Last Call: Free Sonos bridge w/ Play speaker, Angry Birds Go!, Lenmar iPhone 5 battery case $40, more
Today’s can’t miss deals:
Get a free Sonos wireless bridge ($49 value) w/ the purchase of any Sonos Play wireless streaming speaker
Game/App Deals: Andry Birds Go! gameplay trailer, Dictionary.com Premium: $2, iOS freebies, more
Lenmar Meridian 2300mAh Apple certified battery case for iPhone 5/5s: $40 (Reg. $80)
Other great deals from today:
- New! Logitech UE 4000 on-ear headphones w/ mic and controls $50 shipped (Reg. $100)
- New! This week’s best entertainment releases: Paul McCartney, Pearl Jam, Eminem, Pacific Rim, more
- New! WD My Passport 2TB Portable USB 3.0 External Hard Drive (black or silver) $100 shipped
- New! Westinghouse Unplug Bluetooth speaker w/ hands-free calling: $30 shipped (Reg. $65)
- New! MEElectronics noise isolating in-ear headphones w/ playback control, microphone: $35 shipped (Reg. $60)
- New! DashCommand – OBD-II gauge dashboards, scan tool, and vehicle diagnostics for iOS $10 (Reg. $50)
- New! iPhone/iPod iCade Mobile Game Controller $9 shipped (Reg. $25)
- New! HP Chromebook 11.6″ 1.70GHz, 2GB RAM, pre-order $10 off: $270 shipped
- New! Refurb Tablets: ASUS 32GB Google Nexus 7 $135, Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ $100
The best deals that are still alive:
- LifeBox Water/Dust/Shockproof Case for iPhone 5 as low as $40 shipped (Reg. $80)
- Sony 3D Blu-ray player with WiFi streaming $89 shipped (Reg. $140)
- OtterBox iPhone 5 Defender Series case in multiple colors $20 shipped (Reg. $50)
- Kindle DX 9.7″ eReader w/ free global 3G connectivity $189 shipped (Reg. $239)
- The best Apple-certified (MFi) Lightning cables in various lengths, colors, and styles
Mac software bundles:
- The SuperStacked Mac Bundle: Over $3,000 Worth Of Premium Developer & Designer Tools – $40 today, but price increases everyday it’s on sale.
- Design Bundler #2 with Premium Photoshop Layer Styles and 4 other Mac apps – Name your own price (ends in 1 day)
- The Mac Freebie Bundle 2.0: 10 Apps To Enhance Your Design, Photography & Productivity
New product announcements & reviews:
Angry Birds Stories July 19, 2013
Angry Birds and Croods fans now keep their progress across devices – iOS and Android
After a limited trial back in May, Rovio has now announced that its account-synchronisation feature is being rolled-out globally across both iOS and Android devices. When you download a game to a new device, you just login with your Rovio account to continue right where you left off.
The feature is currently limited to the original Angry Birds and The Croods, but Rovio will be adding all its games over time.
Angry Birds Stories July 15, 2013
Rovio hinted at Angry Birds Star Wars 2 late last week, but today we get an official announcement as well as our first look at gameplay footage and the new Hasbro “Telepods” toys, which appear to let users transfer new characters into the game. The Telepod controller will be available where toys are sold, according to the video, and a broken link to Hasbro is provided.
Angry Birds Stories July 12, 2013
Rovio teases July 15th announcement for brand new Angry Birds Star Wars game
Last November, Rovio introduced a new Angry Birds Star Wars game that brought iconic Star Wars locations and characters from the movies into the Angry Birds gameplay universe. Today the developer is teasing what looks to be an entirely new Star Wars themed Angry Birds game. While Rovio’s initial tweet only mentioned a “Big new game announcement” coming this Monday, it later confirmed on its blog that the announcement will be for “a brand new game” with “the biggest character line-up ever, awesome new powers, and maybe even a few surprises!”
On top of the teaser, Rovio is also making Angry Birds Star Wars available for free today for a limited time.
We don’t get any other details, but Rovio did include the image above hinting the game might be inspired by Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace:
Angry Birds Stories July 3, 2013
Angry Birds updated w/ new ‘Egg Defender’ gameplay mode, 15 new levels, & 73 Bad Piggies contraptions
Rovio has released a big update today to its original Angry Birds app, which happens to remain as the #1 app of all time. Today’s update brings a brand new gameplay mode known as “Egg Defender,” which according to iTunes gives “Red special powers to attack the advancing pigs.”
Also included in today’s update is 15 new levels with all-new challenges, as well as “73 crazy pig contraptions” straight from Rovio’s hit spin off title ‘Bad Piggies’.
What’s New in Version 3.2.0
The #1 app of all time gets a fun new update! You may be an expert pig popper, but how will you cope with a moving target? One bird stands between the egg and the advancing pig army in the all-new Red’s Mighty Feathers episode. The fearless Red Bird faces wave after wave of Bad Piggies in their crazy contraptions. But wait! He now has some magic feathers from the Mighty Eagle himself – giving Red incredible new powers as he darts toward those pesky pigs at incredible speed!
Fun new gameplay – the Egg Defender mode gives Red special powers to attack the advancing pigs!
15 new levels – the latest Red’s Mighty Feathers episode brings fresh new challenges!
73 crazy pig contraptions – wave after wave of Bad Piggies edging closer in their wacky machines!
Angry Birds Stories March 13, 2013
News: With a heavy focus on its new Creative Cloud subscriptions lately (currently 60% off), TechHive confirmed with Adobe yesterday that it is cutting off physical, boxed sales of its Creative Suite apps.
As Adobe continues to focus on delivering world-class innovation through Creative Cloud and digital fulfillment, we will be phasing out shrink-wrapped, boxed versions of Creative Suite and Acrobat products.”
Google Shopper version 3.2: Google has updated its Google Shopper app for iOS today with new features including a new category result page, larger product images in a new slideshow mode, as well as “improvements to search locale detection, stability, and performance.”
Calendars by Readdle: Readdle has rebranded its paid Calendars app to “Calendars+” today in order to make room for a brand new free app that takes over the “Calendars by Readdle” name. The new free app features a UI and features similar to Readdle’s previous Calendars app, which the company tells us now has over 500,000 users.
Calendars lets you manage events both online and offline. Thanks to the unique interface you can move events simply with Drag & Drop, navigate quickly between dates, change event time and reminders rapidly with custom keyboards. Calendars supports everything you can find in Google Calendar: appointments, SMS reminders and more. Sync is really fast and your information is always up to date.
Roku version 2.1.2: The app that allows you to control your Roku from your iPhone gets official support for the Roku 3 player today:
• Support for Roku 3 player • Minor fixes
Snapguide version 1.1.3: New photo editing features, search filters, and more:
– Introducing photo editing features! When creating a guide, you can now rotate and enhance images. – Easily find guides you have liked. You can now filter liked guides by topics such as Food, Arts and Crafts and more! – Bug Fixes.
Angry Birds Stories March 7, 2013
The Croods: Previously announced, Rovio has today released the first official gameplay video for its upcoming iOS movie tie-in for DreamWorks’ upcoming ‘The Croods’ animated feature film hitting theatres March 22. Check out the full gameplay video above.
Path version 3.0.1: Path is introducing some new features with an update to its iOS app today that brings a new Messaging features, handcrafted stickers, and a marketplace called “The Shop” where users can purchase “premium photo filters and handcrafted stickers.”
★ Messaging – The fast, fun, and private way to message your family and friends one-to-one or in small groups. Use your words, your voice, your location, media, stickers, and more! ★ Stickers – Say more in a single tap with handcrafted stickers from some of our favorite artists. ★ The Shop – The hand curated place to find premium photo filters and handcrafted stickers to make your Path experience more you. ✓ Performance improvements. ☂ Bug fixes.
Fantastical version 1.1: Fantastical, the calendar app we recently reviewed and loved, is updated today with a number of new features including multiple alerts, time zone support, and much, much more. The app is also on sale for a limited time for $3.99 USD.
– Multiple alerts when creating events – Time zone support – Duplicate or move events (tap and hold an event in the event list) – Go to a specific date (tap and hold the red title bar) – Event list is now scrollable when using the calendar – Today’s timed events dim after the event has ended – Copied text containing event info can automatically be made into an event – Added setting to highlight weekends – Added setting to show empty days on the DayTicker – Added setting to display the number of today’s remaining events or date on the app icon badge – State restoration (iOS 6 only) – A staggering number of other improvements, parser enhancements, and bug fixes
Conan O’Brien Presents: Team Coco version 3.1: Conan’s iPhone app bringing content from his Team Coco site has been completely redesigned and now includes full episodes of Conan on demand as well as the two-screen syncing experience previously only available to iPad users.
Angry Birds version 3.1.0: On top of making the previously 99 cent original Angry Birds title Free today, the app (both iPad and iPhone versions) have been updated with brand new content. The updated app includes “15 fantastic new levels for the Bad Piggies episode!”
Angry Birds Stories January 18, 2013
1. DataMan Next: The same developer behind the popular DataMan apps for tracking data usage on your iOS devices is out today with DataMan Next for iPhone featuring an all-new design. The app lets you get real-time stats on cellular and Wi-Fi usage, receive threshold alerts, view usage by bill cycle, and more.
1. Lumify Movie Studio version 3.0: The app that we previously referred to as an Instagram of video apps was updated today with a ton of new features including 5 new video filters, multi-track audio mixing, and a slew of new editing features.
2. Angry Birds Space for Mac version 1.4.0: 30 new levels and more in the latest update to the Mac App Store version of Angry Birds Space:
-Make a splash in 30 NEW LEVELS!
-Get ready for the ultimate underwater boss level!
-Three-star levels for 3 new bonus levels!
Angry Birds Stories January 3, 2013
9to5Mac has once again scoured the App Store for all the latest app launches, price drops, noteworthy news, and updates, and we have compiled everything in a roundup below. Check it out, but keep coming back as we continually refresh the list throughout the day.
1. Rovio | Rovio App Store Hub The brains behind the popular Angry Birds Franchise, as well as Bad Piggies and Amazing Alex, just announced via a blog post that Angry Birds saw over 30 million downloads during Christmas week—with 8 million of them being on Christmas Day alone:
Wow, what a year! We released four critically-acclaimed bestselling mobile games, developed two top-rated Facebook games, and reached more than a billion downloads — all before our 3rd “Birdday”! Angry Birds Star Wars and Bad Piggies in particular have dominated the app charts, with Angry Birds Star Wars holding the #1 position on the US iPhone chart ever since its release! To top it all off, we had 30 million downloads during Christmas week (December 22-29) and, on Christmas Day, over 8 million downloads in 24 hours alone!
Check out the infographic above for more details.
1. Words With Friends – Universal | $2.99 Version 5.70 is now live and features the ability to play with non-Facebook-connected users. The changelog also includes enhanced support for iPhone 5 and the opportunity to post challenges to Facebook friends’ walls. The usual, yet unspecified, bug fixes and improvements are also present.
2. Snapseed – Universal | Free This popular Google-owned photo app pushed out version 1.5.1, but the update only features a fixed issue in which opening images from camera roll could cause a crash, general bug fixes, and improvements.
3. Scribblenauts Remix – Universal | 99 cents Version 2.7 landed yesterday and brought the ability to revert back to the original playground and icon. The changelog also boasts minor bug fixes.
More apps, updates, and deals are below.
Angry Birds Stories December 14, 2012
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kinds Enhanced Edition (for Mac): Developers of critically acclaimed RPG The Witcher 2, originally released on PC and consoles, announced that an OS X port of the game is now available on the Mac App Store for $20.
The Witcher 2 is one of the most sophisticated games ever presented on Mac computers. Prepare to test out the gaming potential of the new iMacs in one of the best looking games for Apple’s computers. We have prepared a special app to test the game’s performance before players can buy it. To check it out just click here
Chrome version 23.0.1271.96: Google has updated its Chrome iOS app today with one highly requested feature- the ability to play sound when the app is running in the background. That means content with sound that you are playing in the browser, such as a YouTube video or mp3, would continue play when multitasking. The update also includes a fix for a character encoding bug.
-Allow sound to play when app is backgrounded. -Fix character encoding bug.
GoPro App version 1.1.13: GoPro has updated its iOS app to include support for features exclusive to the HERO3 camera lineup.
-Supports features in HERO3 cameras
NEW ARRIVALS IN GAME CENTRAL STATION! • Turbo Time is here! Enter the race for gold, and drive at turbo speed in this all-new arcade racer! • New achievements are in! Earn new achievements for Fix-It Felix Jr., Hero’s Duty, Sweet Climber, and Turbo Time. • Added language support for Dutch and Russian
Angry Birds Stories December 11, 2012
9to5Mac has once again scoured the App Store for all the latest app launches, price drops, noteworthy news, and updates, and we have compiled everything in a roundup below. Check it out, but keep coming back as we continually refresh the list throughout the day.
1. 1Password 4 for iOS AgileBits, the makers of 1Password and Knox, posted a teaser vid on its blog this morning (above) and revealed 1Password 4 for iOS is coming:
An unforgettable journey. An epic battle. A fellowship strengthened. Ancient truths protected by the one password you need to remember.
1Password 4 for iOS is coming.
1. Yahoo! Mail | Free Yahoo’s CEO Marissa Mayer announced on Yahoo’s corporate blog today that a new Yahoo! Mail app for iOS has launched:
We’ve redesigned the new version of Yahoo! Mail with speed in mind — getting through your emails is faster than ever before. We’ve also made your inbox more intuitive and easier to navigate, allowing you to focus on what matters most: your messages. And, because mobile is everything these days, Yahoo! Mail now has a consistent look and feel across devices.
The app features inbox access with just one tap, push notifications for new messages, continuous scroll for inbox, auto complete email addresses, swipe gestures, multi-select message options, and the ability to attach photos, preview photos, and search in folders.
2. Pokédex for iOS | $1.99 An official Pokédex for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad finally launched last night. The universal app features Retina display and iPhone 5 support, six languages, powerful search functions, and the ability to “combine Pokémon from each region to make a National Pokédex!”
More updates and price drops below.
Angry Birds Stories December 3, 2012
WordPress version 3.3: The WordPress iOS app gets an update today that brings audio feedback with new sound effect options for “refreshing, swiping, and more” accessible from Settings. The app has also been updated with optimizations for iPad mini, support for self-signed certificates, and fixes for over 20 bugs:
★ Sound effects: get audio feedback when refreshing, swiping, and more. You can turn off Sounds easily in Settings. • Works great on the iPad Mini. • Added support for self-signed certificates. • Over 20 bugs and crashes fixed.
Angry Birds Seasons version 3.1.0: Over the weekend Rovio updated its Angry Birds Seasons apps with new content for Winter. Included is 25 winter levels (one each day) and “three secret levels for some special wintry treats.” HD iPad version available here.
It’s a snowy winter night, the northern lights are ablaze, and it seems like peace on earth… until the bad piggies show up! The Angry Birds didn’t realize that they’re walking in a winter wonderham!
Tumblr version 3.2.2: The Tumblr iPhone app gets a few features today include a new blog lookup feature to find blogs by username, and a panorama view when tapping photos:
• New blog lookup feature! Go to your Account screen and tap “Find blogs” to search by username. • New panorama view! Just tap the photo to get a closeup. • Bug fixes, including one that made it difficult for some users to launch the app.
* iPhone 5 Support * Multiple Bug fixes * Added back sound when stars drop in cup – now an option to turn on or off
Notability version 4.42: A big update goes to the popular note taking, handwriting, and PDF annotation app that brings iOS 6 support, the ability to import .doc, .ppt, and .xls files as PDFs with Google Drive, localizations, and much more: expand full story
Angry Birds Stories November 8, 2012
Rovio releases Angry Birds Star Wars app to the masses
The highly-anticipated (and much-teased) Angry Birds Star Wars is now available in both the App Store and Mac App Store.
Developer Rovio has long been working with the recently Disney-acquired LucasArts to bulk its popular app lineup with a Star Wars-themed iteration of Angry Birds that brings new creative and play experiences to the franchise.
The latest Rovio title ditches the traditional exploding/flinging Angry Birds for a slew of new bird characters each wielding a unique weapon. The Han Solo bird, for instance, halts enemies with a three-shot space gun. The game also features iconic Star Wars locations, 80 immersive levels, “hours and hours” of gameplay, fresh mechanics, and new level-up capabilities for birds.
“Use the Force, wield your lightsaber, and blast away Pigtroopers on an intergalactic journey from the deserts of Tatooine to the depths of the Pig Star — where you’ll face off against the terrifying Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Pigs,” wrote Rovio in the app’s App Store description. “Time to grab your lightsaber and join the adventure! May the birds be with you!”
Check it out:
- Angry Birds Star Wars HD | $2.99
- Angry Birds Star Wars | 99 cents
- Angry Birds Star Wars for Mac | $4.99
Angry Birds Star Wars also landed on the Android, Amazon Kindle Fire, and Windows 8 platforms today.
The full press release is below.
Angry Birds Stories November 5, 2012
9to5Mac compiled another list of the top app news, updates, and launches in our usual roundup below. The highlights from today includes statistics on how the newly Web-geared Instagram helped capture Hurricane Sandy in real-time, a new eBook app by Sony, and a shiny teaser trailer for Rovio’s Angry Birds Star Wars (above). Oh, and a few app sales—check it out:
1. Angry Birds Star Wars After releasing a string of teasers for its title landing on iOS Nov. 8, Rovio posted the first official full-length gameplay trailer today for its new Star Wars edition of Angry Birds.
Angry Birds Star Wars will be out on November 8, but until then, watch this gameplay trailer and scream “OH MY GOODNESS!!!!” to yourself in the mirror
2. Instagram | Free Hurricane Sandy barreled through the East Coast last week, and those in its stormy path made sure to document all of the havoc in real-time with the help of Instagram. Instagram CEO Kevin Systrom revealed to GigaOM today that folks uploaded over 800,000 photos tagged with the #Sandy hashtag. Systrom specifically noted Sandy was “probably the biggest event to be captured on Instagram.” The news from Systrom this morning came as the Facebook-acquired company also announced the rollout of new Web profiles with a very Facebook-esque look (via official Instagram blog):
You’ve asked for Instagram on the web and we’ve listened. Over the next few days, we’ll be rolling out Instagram profiles on the web!
Your web profile features a selection of your recently shared photographs just above your profile photo and bio, giving others a snapshot of the photos you share on Instagram. In addition, you can follow users, comment & like photos and edit your profile easily and directly from the web. It’s a beautiful new way to share your Instagram photos!
Just launched expand full story
Angry Birds Stories November 1, 2012
-Navigate 10 volcanic new levels, including the Mars Curiosity Rover boss level! Get three stars on all levels to unlock a new antenna egg level! -Hunt for the hidden rover to unlock a super-secret bonus level! -All new space eagle bonus levels, one per episode! Get 100% on the space eagle destruction meter to unlock 5 new levels!
Path for iPad: Path announced on its blog a new version of its iOS app is hitting the App store later today that will bring a Path experience tailored specifically for iPad. The blog post described some of the enhancements for iPad, including: the ability to see “the day on one screen and swipe to see previous days”, and redesigned full-screen and landscape-views to show more content.
Air Patriots: Amazon Game Studios is launching its first mobile game on a number of platforms today including iPhone and iPad. The title is a tower defense game allowing you to “control a squadron of planes by drawing the paths they will follow to engage the enemy.” You can get it for free on the App Store now with a $3 map pack available as an in-app purchase.
Clear for Mac: We have covered the slick designed “Clear” to-do list app for iPhone in the past. Developers Realmac Software have now officially announced a Mac version of the app landing in the Mac App Store on November 8th for $14.99. The app includes iCloud support for easily managing lists across the iOS and Mac versions, and a “gestural interface built for your trackpad.”
Angry Birds Stories October 25, 2012
Bad Piggies version 1.1.0: Rovio has updated its new Bad Piggies title with 15 new levels today, as well as a new free sandbox level. The update also includes its biggest sandbox level yet, called “Field of Dreams”, as an in-app purchase.
The Bad piggies finally did it — they finally got the eggs! But can they hold on to them with the Angry Birds in hot pursuit? Even under the cover of darkness, they’ll need all of their best machines to stay ahead!
-Fly through 15 tricky new levels with the birds on your tail! -Take cover in a brand new moonlit theme! -Unleash your creativity on a free new sandbox level! -Introducing the Field of Dreams: Our biggest sandbox level yet, now available for purchase!
National Geographic Magazine version 2.1: With this update the free app is now available to National Geographic subscribers on the iPhone:
• Now available for iPhone!
Kindle version 3.4: A nice update to the Kindle iOS app comes following Apple releasing new features for iBooks. The app now supports Japanese with vertical text & Manga, an option to read books in the publisher suggested font, and a new “Caecilia” font choice. Also included is X-Ray for Textbooks:
X-Ray for Textbooks gives you instant access to all the most important terms and concepts in a book, with glossary definitions, links to relevant textbook pages, and related content from Wikipedia and YouTube (available on many of the most popular print replica textbooks)
Cut the Rope version 2.0: Popular Chillingo title Cut the Rope is getting updated today with new levels, iPhone 5 and Game Center support, and more. The HD iPad version gets the same update. expand full story
Angry Birds Stories October 24, 2012
BOO! The pigs are hiding in their spookiest location yet: a haunted house! The Angry Birds will have to brave ghosts and ghouls to get their eggs back — if they can survive the house first! Are your eyes playing tricks on you or did that painting just move?!
-Explore the scary secrets of the brand new haunted house! -Try to survive 30 all new spooky levels! -Shiver and shake to the ghostly new Halloween music! -Use the brand new ghost bricks for fun trick shots! -Say hello to Frankenswine and the other pigs, all dressed up for Halloween!
Square Register version 2.4: Square is officially rolling out its payment service internationally today with the Canadian launch and an updated Square Register iOS app. Full details in the company’s press release here.
– Square Register is now available in Canada!
– Integration with iOS Facebook framework (iOS 6+) – Improved performance when saving large images – Fixed freeze after sharing via email – Fixed video playback on youtube.com (iPhone and iPod) – Performance and stability fixes – Added support for iOS 4.2.1 – Various iOS 6 related fixes
Music Unlimited version 1.2: The iOS app for Sony’s subscription music service gets a decent update today with the ability to “Create channels inspired by your favorite artists” and more:
· My Channels – Create channels inspired by your favorite artists. · Playlist management – Create and edit playlists on your mobile device. · Some features have been improved.
Angry Birds Stories September 27, 2012
Many apps updated, went on sale, or made announcements recently, and 9to5Mac gathered the most noteworthy ones in our regular round up below. Today’s crop includes new games by AOL and Rovio, updates for popular video services and social networks, more notable apps adding support for iOS 6, and huge price drops and daily deals. Per usual, we will continue to update this list throughout the day.
Check them out:
Angry Birds Stories September 13, 2012
A few apps updated, went on sale, or made announcements recently, and 9to5Mac gathered the most noteworthy ones in our regular round up below. Today’s crop includes game and productivity app updates, an Angry Birds game sale, and promo codes for an iPhone 5-optimized GPS app. Per usual, we will continue to update this list throughout the day.
Check them out:
Angry Birds Stories August 16, 2012
As always, we will update our list of new apps and updates hitting the App Store and Mac App Store throughout the day:
Angry Birds Seasons version 2.5.0: New content for Rovio’s “Seasons” edition of Angry Birds rolled out today (including the HD version). The update includes 20 new schoolyard levels, bonus levels, a new pink bird, and new theme music for the playground levels.
Amazon Instant Video version 1.1: Amazon’s iPad app provides access to over 120,000 videos from the Amazon Instant Video store and thousands more Prime Instant Video titles, and it was updated today with a couple notable features. First—a new search function has been added to find specific titles from Prime. Also included in the update are an improved navigation bar and a number of bug fixes.
Shazam version 5.0.6: All of the versions of the song recognition app Shazam were updated today with an improved recognition rate and faster application startup time. The update also went to the $5.99 RED edition.
Dunkin’ Donuts version 1.0: Dunkin’ Donuts officially announced the release of its first mobile app today that allows customers to pay from the app using a virtual barcode-based DD card scanned by the cashier. Other features include a store locator, nutritional information for items on the menu, the ability to send virtual DD cards, and Facebook and Twitter integration.
Angry Birds Stories August 2, 2012
Apps and updates: Angry Birds, Infinity Blade, Temple Run, Magic 2013, and DOOM sale
A slew of apps updated today, and 9to5Mac gathered the most noteworthy ones in our regular round up below. Today’s crop includes new additions to popular iOS games, including an app going Retina and some sales, and we will continue to update this list throughout the day.
Angry Birds Stories July 10, 2012
Apps & updates: Amazing Alex, Hulu Plus, Weather Channel, Tweetbot, and more
Amazing Alex: (iPhone $.99/iPad $2.99)We recently got a little teaser for Rovio’s new game, but today we get the official launch trailer for Amazing Alex that now has a solid July 12 release date for iOS devices. Also included in today’s list of apps and updates is a refreshed Weather Channel iPad app, and updates to CloudOn and the VLC Remote app.
Weather Channel for iPad v3.3.0: The popular Weather Channel app for iPad was updated today with a number of notable new features and enhancements. Included in the update are improved radar maps, HD backgrounds for the iPad’s Retina display, and improvements to crashes experienced by first-gen iPad users. You can now also refresh data by tapping the Weather Channel logo within the app.
CloudOn v2.0.55: CloudOn allows you to access Microsoft Office on the iPad with DropBox and Google Drive integration, and today’s update brings even more functionality, including: the ability to open password protected Office files, an improved experience for Retina iPad users, and more.
VLC Remote v6.02: The app that controls the VLC Media Player on Macs and PCs received a minor updated today that fixes issues with YouTube browsing and translations in several languages.
Tweetbot v2.4.1: A small updated to the Tweetbot iPhone and iPad client today brings the ability to “toggle smart quotes in the compose view (tap in the text input area)” and various fixes including one related to crashes for Droplr uploads.
Angry Birds Stories June 8, 2012
Apps & updates: Adobe Photoshop Express, Growl, SketchBook Express, Angry Birds Space, and more
Below is our usual list of newly released apps and updates that landed in the App Store today. Some of the more notable apps on the list include updates to iOS apps Adobe Photoshop Express, and SketchBook Express, and Mac App Store apps Growl and Angry Birds Space. We will keep the list updated as more apps and updates are released throughout the day.
Adobe Photoshop Express Version 2.5: The free universal iPhone and iPad app was updated to include the Adobe Effects Pack of “45- eye-catching effects” and the Enhanced Adobe Border Pack with 18 new borders as in-app purchases. The update also includes improvements to borders, effects, and editing, as well as Tumblr and Twitter sharing options, improvements to Facebook and Flickr sharing, and support for the iPad’s Retina display.
SketchBook Express Version 2.5: The free version of Autodesk’s SketchBook Pro app was updated today with a few new features including palm rest, a random color option in Color Editor, and other enhancements and bug fixes.
Voice Answer Version 1.3: We told you about the Voice Answer app before when Apple rejected it for being too much like Siri. Today, Apple has finally allowed an update to the app that turns the app’s AI— named Eve—into a “a fully animated 3D robot.” The update also includes voice messaging, email, and calling, and it now supports 54 languages for translations.
Growl Version 1.4: Popular Mac notification app Growl received an update on the Mac App Store today with dozens of enhancements and tweaks to the service. The app’s release notes mentioned: “Major improvements to networking,” “Applications Tab Redesign,” and a long list of other improvements.
Angry Birds Space Version 1.2.0: The same as the iOS apps the other day, the Mac App Store version of Angry Birds Space now includes the “delicious food planet of Utopia,” which features 10 new levels for the title that recently reached 100 million downloads.
- Apps and updates: Little Things Forever, Diet Coda, Sparrow, Netflix, Angry Birds Space, and more (9to5mac.com)
- Apps and updates: LinkedIn passwords leak, Sparrow teases iPad app, and Angry Birds Space hits 100M downloads (9to5mac.com)
- Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Elements 10 $47/ea or $70 for both (9to5mac.com)
- Adobe Photoshop Touch updated to version 1.2 (9to5mac.com)
Angry Birds Stories June 6, 2012
Apps and updates: LinkedIn passwords leak, Angry Birds Space hits 100M, and Sparrow teases iPad app
The blogosphere is abuzz this morning regarding a few key developments—some good, some bad—within notable iOS apps, including: Linkedin, Angry Birds Space, and Sparrow.
- UPDATE at 1:02 p.m. PST.: According to LinkedIn’s Director Vicente Silveira: “We can confirm that some of the passwords that were compromised correspond to LinkedIn accounts.” More information about what LinkedIn is doing to remedy the situation is detailed in a blog post by the company’s director.
- UPDATE at 10:01 a.m. PST.: LinkedIn just updated its iOS app to version 5.0.3 to bring “miscellaneous bug fixes” and “improvements in calendar.” The company promised earlier that it would no longer send sensitive data from the meeting notes section of calendar events and that it would provide a “learn more” link to offer more information on how it crops data. These improvements are also live on the Android counterpart.
- LinkedIn’s free iOS app is in the middle of a scandal after reports from last night indicated the professional network scrubs calendar entries filled with business and personal data, and then transmits the sensitive particulars to the company’s servers without users’ knowledge. LinkedIn promptly took to its official blog and tried to reassure users that all is well. Unfortunately, the website’s troubles do not stop there: According to a report from The Verge today, a Russian forum member [translated] claimed to have hacked and uploaded nearly 6.5-million LinkedIn passwords. The company posted a tweet this morning notifying users that it is “currently looking into reports of stolen passwords.” A later tweet from the company revealed it could not confirm the existence of a security breach, but asked users to “stay tuned.”
Angry Birds Space
- Rovio, the gurus behind the popular iOS app Angry Birds Space, announced in a tweet this morning that its latest offering in the popular Angry Birds series hit 100 million downloads across all platforms. The game passed 50 million downloads within 35 days of its launch, and the company revealed last month that all Angry Birds titles cumulatively hit 1 billion downloads across all platforms. Those are some astonishing stats for a 99-cent app.
- Sparrow launched a landing page today on its website with the message: “We are preparing something bigger.” The URL, sprw.me/ipad, is an indication that the popular email client for Mac and iPhone is now coming to the iPad. A contact field to sign up for updates is centered on the page. Once an email is submitted, an image of the iPad immediately springs from below.
Angry Birds Stories May 31, 2012
Apps and updates: Little Things Forever, Diet Coda, Sparrow, Netflix, Angry Birds Space, and more
A few of the most noteworthy apps in the iOS ecosystem either landed on the App Store recently or received much-welcomed updates, such as the launch of Little Things Forever—the long-awaited sequel to the “iPad App of the Week” Little Things. Performance enhancements and new feature additions also arrived to Little Things, as well as Diet Coda, Sparrow for iPhone, Netflix, Etsy, Pinterest, Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds Space HD, Flixster with Rotten Tomatoes, Google Shopper, and Djay and Djay Free.
Check out the full slate of notables below.
Angry Birds Stories March 17, 2011
Last night, an update to Angry Birds HD dropped on iPad with fifteen new levels, a new golden egg and a “feature” that has immediately angered loyal fans – adverts. No, not the unobtrusive types of an AdMob or AdSense variety seen in some apps. In Angry Birds HD, a “news section” – a nicer word for advertisements – hits gamers in the face upon reaching the pause screen.
It pitches the official merchandise, forcing gamers to wait for the promotional animation to finish, thus hindering their ability to restart the level and resume the game as quickly as possible. The move backfired as agitated fans began posting despicable comments in iTunes reviews. Here’s what one avid fan wrote:
Angry Birds Stories March 10, 2011
Interesting note from a Wired UK story on Rovio: The company was almost in bankruptcy prior to releasing their Angry Birds app in the App Store. They had been making meager earnings selling apps through the mobile carriers and for other companies. One App for app store and now they are $50 million in the black with a lucrative franchise on their hands.
The new St. Patrick’s Day update to the blockbuster puzzler has gone live today for iOS and Android devices, with Palm and Nokia following soon. It is bound to spoil you with an entirely new level pack containing brand spanking new puzzles to solve, bonus content and the unmistakable, charming humor that turned Angry Birds into such a high-grossing entertainment franchise (video below). Also, Angry Birds Rio is coming later this month.
Angry Birds Stories December 29, 2010
Apple’s iOS has won a big thumbs-up from the Angry Birds themselves, who say that when it comes to mobile devices, Apple’s going to excel against the rest.
“Apple will be the number one platform for a long time from a developer perspective, they have gotten so many things right,” said Peter Vesterbacka, Angry Birds development lead. expand full story