Today Google has announced “Google Catalogs”, a new app designed specifically for “tablet devices” (iPad only currently) that allows you to flip through digital versions of catalogs from a number of popular brands and “interact with new layers of rich-media content”. Not too long ago Google updated their Shopper app for iPhone… and now, with the Catalogs app, are providing an entirely new experience for browsing products and finding local retailers (presumably integrated with Google Offers).
Some of the more notable features include the ability to zoom, tap elements of a page to learn more, view and create photo albums, and most importantly, find products you’re viewing in nearby stores (an interesting approach to offering local deals).
There are currently a bunch of well known brands partnering with Google to create content for the newly launched free app… some of which include Urban Outfitters, Macy’s, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Williams-Sonoma, among others.
A full list of features from the announcement below:
With Google Catalogs, you can:
- Interact: Zoom in to see products up close, tap on tags to learn more about an item or, in some catalogs, view inspiring photo albums and videos.
- Find products in nearby stores: When an item catches your eye, instantly find it in a store near you or tap “Buy on Website” to visit the merchant online.
- Express your creativity: Create a collage of your favorite catalog pages and products. If you need inspiration, you can check out collages created by others.
- Share with friends: Email a product or collage to all your shopping buddies.
- Get instant access to new catalogs: Add catalogs to your Favorites and get notified each time a new issue arrives.
- Discover new products and brands: Search for products within or across multiple catalogs to find exactly what you’re looking for.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.