Apple ready to release additional iPad model; likely 128GB version (Updated: Pricing)
We’ve gotten word from sources that Apple is preparing to release (in some fashion) a single, additional iPad model. This would be a new SKU for the current fourth-generation iPad with Retina display line. At this point, we do not have pricing information, so it is definitely difficult to pinpoint exactly what this new iPad model is.
Here is what we do know:
- It is a fourth-generation iPad, not a new design.
- It comes in both the current black and white color options.
- It comes in both WiFi-only and WiFi + Cellular versions.
- It is a more premium SKU that will join the current line of 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB fourth-generation iPads.
- 10-pack deals (in both colors) for educational institutions will be offered.
With developers finding code in the soon-to-be-released iOS 6.1 that points to 128GB iOS devices, and with recent findings of 128GB references in Apple’s recent iTunes 11 release, speculation naturally points to Apple releasing a 128GB iPad in the very near future. While it is certainly plausible that this new iPad model is the 128GB iPad, we are currently not confident enough to outright claim that, but it seems likely based on the evidence.
Update: We’ve received pricing information for this new iPad model. The pricing is in line with a higher storage capacity, coming in at around $799 for the WiFi-only model and $929 for the Cellular-compatible model in the United States. So, new capacity sounds even more likely.
Here are the new SKUs via a source at a high-profile U.S. retailer: